Did not find what you were looking for?

Google

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Grandfather's Finger

"It was a stroke of pure luck." He said.

He held his stiffly-bent index finger in front of his face and smiled.

"If it was not for that coincidence, I would not have joined the army." My grandfather chuckled.

"What happened?" I asked in anticipation.

"I was very young. A boy of no more that 10 years or so. I was playing with my mates when I lost balance and fell on my hand. I heard a muted crack, and I screamed. I broke my index finger."

"They aligned my finger with a small stick and tied them both with a piece of cloth." He paused and stroked his silver hair.

"The next day, I stood watching my friends play. I was fidgeting with my injured finger when the stick fell from its wrapping. I looked around, but I could not find it. Then the genius idea hit me." His eyes twinkled.

"I put my index finger on top of the middle finger and tied them both. I thought, 'my other finger can serve as a stick'."

He demonstrated this by crossing his index and middle finger.

"Days passed by and no one paid attention. It was time to remove the wrapping. I spread my hand, and I noticed it. My index finger healed cleanly with a permanent bent."

We both laughed.

"Forward 8 years from that day, and I am standing in the health examination room for the army's applicants. The doctor looked at my hand and grimaced. He wrote something on my slip and dropped it in the box next to him."

"We stood outside waiting for our names to be called. They were calling by first name only. I heard mine. I could not believe my ears. I was accepted after all. I took the piece of paper and went to the registration lines."

I looked at him for a moment then realization dawned on me.

"No!" I breathed.

He chuckled. "Yes, there were two people sharing the same name. I accidentally took the man's slip, and he took mine. I did not realize it till much later."

"What happened to the poor man?" I asked.

"I wish I knew." He whispered softly.

"Did they ask you to leave?" I asked, knowing the answer in advance.

"No. They realized that I can use my hand perfectly fine. It was just a matter of abnormality in its look."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol aww! thats adorable how he healed it wrong.

Waed S. said...

That was nice of you to share =)
It is funny how a man's life took a certain path due to a little mistake !

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online