Did not find what you were looking for?

Google

Friday, April 18, 2008

Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits : Review

The novel, written by Laila Lalami, is a bittersweet tale of survival. I had the pleasure of reading the book this week, and it made me love and hate life at the same time. It is the story of four Moroccans who attempt to enter Spain illegally by embarking on a dangerous boat trip. We accompany them through their hellish endeavor just to see how their life changes after that. For some of them, achieving a goal comes with a hefty price: a strip of identity and beliefs, or loss of family and love. They have spent their lives pursuing a dream just to discover that it's a harsh reality. Hope can really be dangerous sometimes.

I recommend this book if you are in for something different, and I am definitely keeping my eyes open for what Lalami has in store for us in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a signed hardcover :) Got it when Laila (Moorish girl) visited Seattle (she's also a blogger)
I even posted some pictures for her

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online