Did not find what you were looking for?

Google

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Window Frame

I knew that you could not sleep at night. The whispering voice of Fairouz would filter through the door of your room after midnight.

One night, Fairouz's angelic voice beckoned me from the fitful grips of sleep. My throat felt dry, and I craved an icy cup of water. I swung my little feet to the side of bed and stepped on the cold tiles of the floor. I walked barefoot to the door and stopped. The kitchen was veiled in the dark. The hallway lamp cast shadows on the walls, and the trip from here to there suddenly seemed impossible. My eyes darted to the door of your room that stood next to the kitchen. A soft light adorned its rims. The world behind that door was my wonderland. My feet hesitated for a second before I ran to it. I placed my palm on its handle and pushed it lightly. It opened, and I was engulfed in light.

A becoming smell of Turkish coffee filled your room. You were sitting by the window with the side of your face resting on the palm of your hand. You closed your eyes and moved your head to the song coming from the small radio. The moon light washing the rose tree behind the window accentuated your profile.

"Why are you awake, tita?" You said.

"I am thirsty," I whispered.

You smiled and poured me a glass from the silver jar next to your bed. My hand shook, and drops of icy water slithered down my throat while I drank.

You took my face in your hands and sang endearments to me. You stroked my long hair and kissed the top of my head.

You held me in your arms, and your robe smelled of lavender and face powder. A cool breeze tickled the roses outside, and we both inhaled the sweet smell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is lovely :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online